Thursday, June 28, 2007

It's so hot.

The first few weeks of teaching has certainly a learning experience for both me and the students. As I have mentioned before, I am working with four different groups of students- 3 groups of children and one for parents. Each group presents its own set of difficulties for me. I am very happy that all of the students have been patient with me as I learn how to best help them learn.


Here is a description of each of my classes:
Group one is 1st-3rd grade students. They arrive each morning eager to get started. Some take diligent notes of what I’m writing on the white board while others try and repeat everything that I say. It is fun to watch each style of learner do what they do best whether that is listen, repeat, write, or simply read. All of the children that I work with during the day, have had or will have English in school. This group has not yet started their formal English education so I’m trying to provide a base for them to be successful once they begin more structured classes in the elementary school.


The second group in 4th-6th graders. These students have begun to learn English in their classes but are at different levels of comprehension and ability to communicate orally. This is one of the difficulties of having such wide age groups- some students not only are more advanced or further behind than their peers; the students in my class span three grade levels. Since this is the case, I have decided that the best thing I can provide these children is speaking in a native voice and with correct grammar and encouraging them to engage in conversation. I’ll try and help with the actual mechanics of the language, but I think that I am best able to help the students become comfortable with speaking in English.


The third group of students are 7th and 8th graders. They have had formal English instruction in school for the past 5 or 6 years. Some of these students are very good at English already. Others are intimidated by their peers’ success. I am struggling to have those who are not as comfortable to speak up and join our conversation. This is a very fun class to have. The students would like to practice their speaking skills and don’t want much written work. Who can blame them, it is summer time and they are coming in for extra help.


We have decided to make this class a conversation session focusing on using various verb tenses. It is fun to talk about what everyone likes to do. One difficultly I am having with this class is overcoming what Americans like to talk about and what Bosnians talk about. I know what Americans like to talk about, especially in language classes- where they have been, what they have done, what their hobbies are and those sorts of things. These conversations are particularly short with these Bosnian students. Many of them have not traveled much. They don’t have many hobbies beyond playing soccer or volleyball and talking to their friends.

When I hear all of this, I realize how much we take for granted the many activities that Americans partake in to fill their free and idle time- for better or worse. I’m amazed and inspired by what makes these students happy and I wish many people in the states would be content with the many gifts that they have.


I have had several obstacles in addition to the language barrier. First of all, since this is a drop in center, the same group of kids don't show up everyday. This is understandable since it is the summer and kids enjoy having their free and definitely need to play. But on the other hand, it is very difficult to prepare a lesson plan and I have spent quite a bit of time reviewing previous days vocabulary.


Another major obstacle is the heat. It has been really bad the past week, seriously it has been terrible. It has been so hot that parents won't let their children go outside or even to our center. This makes the days at the center go by very slowly. Air Conditioning would be nice. Luckily, I have been getting some research done for grant preparation and helping the Center for Balkan Development begin their initial assessment on kicking off the "Youth Initiative" for all of Bosnia. So at least I have felt productive.
I also enjoyed a little R&R last weekend with some friends from college in Croatia and Montenegro. Thanks Pottsy, Diana, Angela, and Ashley for a little Croatian Vacation.


No comments: