Monday, June 4, 2007

2 weeks in Bosnia.

I have been in Tuzla nearly two weeks now and I am begining to become more settled here. My understanding of the language is coming along, slowly. I can understand some conversations when they are in simple verb tenses. If they aren’t, I don’t stand a chance. Bosnian, as all Slavic languages, is very difficult. A change in one letter in a noun can change the entire meaning of a sentence.

I am also learning a little more about what my responsibilities at Bolje Sutra will be. Depending on how many people sign up for classes, it looks like I will have 4 or 5 classes. The classes will be separated by age group and we will have one class for more advanced students and one for parents so they can learn some English to better help them in their jobs.

I have already been teaching some to the pre-school students. This is quite an interesting process. It begins with Murveta and I teaching each other a little bit. The communication between the two of us is slow and we need two dictionaries to make things work. After we have learned a little bit, we teach the children.

First Murveta will say what we will teach in Bosnian, then she says it in English. Next, I say the word in English. At this pint Murveta has the kids repeat it in English. The we go around the classroom having each of the kids repeat what was said.

So far we have covered, “Good day”, “How are you?”, “I am fine”, “my name is…”, and the colors. I have been using online resources for ideas of how to be a better instructor. I will also be ordering a TEFL book.

Another way I am interacting with the pre-school kids is by playing with them. When they are playing with blocks on the floor with they will ask what certain animals we are playing with are called English. After I tell them it is a cow or chicken or horse, they laugh. Then they repeat the name. It is really funny to relate to the kids this way, but for now this is one of the few tools I have.

In addition to English classes, I will be teaching a computer class. The basic function of the class will be how to use Microsoft Office. Computer use for kids is minimal since the elementary schools do not have computers. The computers at the center are barely functional but they will have to do the job. I will also try to have DSL access to the internet donated from the phone company since internet access is expensive here. Having internet would be a wonderful way for the students to learn more about the world they live in.

During the past two weeks there have been many thunderstorms. Nearly everyday. Some come in the morning, but most happen in the evenings. Even though there have been so many thunderstorms, we have only lost electricity once.

We were at the center and the kids had all come inside because the winds had picked up. With the influx of children, Brko, one of the staff members, got out the water color paints. Then the thunder and lightning came. Soon there after the power went out.

Binasa told me that during the war Solina was without power for over 2 years. I couldn’t imagine such a thing. She said it wasn’t too bad. They cooked by fire and used candles at night. Since there wasn’t imminent threat in the city, the kids were able to play outside. Binasa said that the worst part about not having electric was not being able to use the washing machine.

This week I also found and moved into an apartment. The land lord echoed a similar message about living without what we in the developed world consider automatic and expected amenities. The day after I moved in he brought up three- 5 liter jugs. He instructed me to fill them up with water and keep them for when there is no running water.

Apparently up until about a year ago, there was only 6-7 hours a day of running water. It was necessary to keep some water around for those other hours to cook, wash and flush the toilet with. I did as he told and just two days later when I woke up and wanted to have tea and take a shower, there was no water coming out of the shower head. I thought it was just something with the faucet, so I tried the sink. Still nothing but a little spit of water. As I was on my way to the kitchen to see if that faucet had any water pressure, I saw the filled jugs and remembered my land lord’s warning. Sure enough the kitchen sink didn’t have water either.

So, I put the water jugs to use and filled a kettle full of water. After it had nearly boiled, I had my tea while the water cooled and then “showered” in the sink. This slight inconvenience made me begin to appreciate the stability and comforts of the developed world. The thunderstorms also leave me with the question, how many kilometers away was the lightning strike if the thunder is five seconds after the flash?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Good to hear from you Tippy! How long are you going to be in Bosnia? I remember that weekend with Bruno well. Camping in serajevo still stands as the coldest night i've ever spent. It sounds like a great experience, what you're doing...I wish I had more internet time to thouroughly read your blog. We'll have to catch up eventually. Take care!