After playing two years of competitive water-polo in my life (senior year of high school and senior year of college), I really wanted to play on a team while I was here. Since both of my previous teams were in their infant stages of their development, I've never played very structured polo. I was really eager for the opportunity here. I asked a few friends if they knew of any leagues for adults. They said that they did, but none in Tuzla. We may be the 2nd largest
city in the country, but without a swimming pool in town a water polo team is not possible. There is a pool similar to the one in Howard Hall on the University of Portland campus, but the water polo aficionados of the region have deemed this pool un acceptable to play the sport in.
So I have resigned myself to playing catch with some of the kids in the small, salt water lake in
town. It is also very shallow, but you can tread water in it. The problem here is the huge numbers of people here. I guess it isn't a problem that everyone is trying to stay cool, it just makes it difficult to play water polo. I'm affraid that I'll hit one of the old ladies who is cooling themselves near the shore.
Try playing water polo in the Adriatic Sea where 3,000 ft. high fjords drive into the bay in a 1,000 year old walled city. Why am I not volunteering in this town? When become rich and a donor to the University of Portland Water Polo Team, we will come here for pre-season training. Gibbs, you can be the coach for the training camp. Riley, Clay and Peter, we can play a little "Fatties vs. Skinnys" basketball too.
1 comment:
Hey Tippy,
I wouldn't mind moving to that part of the world. But I don't think they have many jobs for software developers like me. Plus, my g/f would flip.
I'm glad to hear that you are having fun and doing well. Thanks for the shout out.
- Jeff
PS. Try convincing your students to dig a whole big enough to play water polo in. ;-)
Post a Comment